Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Geocaching hints

From: "Cordell Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 06:23:09 -0700

Since I'm involved to a certain extent (it's my cache that started the
rant), but not so thin skinned as to take it personally.... Here is
how I see it.  Caches generally fit three broad categories: 1) The
standard ammo box type container in a non-urban setting. (as someone
said; "in the desert under rocks").   2)  Then, all other containers
and mysteries hidden in non-urban area.  Followed by 3) LUMs, Lame
Urban Micros.

The first two require effort: organization, approach, maps, a hike,
etc.  The urban micro require only the gps, maybe a hint, stealth, and
the patience to deal with traffic.

Somehow I come to the conclusion, maybe from searching for some of
Sprocket's caches, that part of the intrigue of looking for non-urban
smaller caches is the realization that extra effort will be required
for the find.  Sometimes the extra efforts will be extreme!  Also,
there is the wonderful premise that success is not assured!  Let me
firmly assert I prefer cache type number 1!

Of course one of the hazards of smaller caches in a non-urban setting
is that of critters attacking them and carrying them off.  As cache
owner, I'm willing to live with that as it is certainly gratifying to
appreciate some hardy soul willing to make the effort to see a new
piece of the out-of-doors.