Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Cache contents Rant

From: "GeoCacheCards.com" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:00:03 -0700

I am interested in the difference between caches here and the several I
found in California over the holiday weekend.  All 4 caches had the most
useless stuff in them.  Empty this, Used up that, candy wrappers...  I mean,
think of the cool things you could leave in a microcache...  pickup some old
micromachine cars/trucks at a yardsale, souvenir coins from tourist traps,
things of that nature.  I have a bunch of that kind of stuff in my garage,
which I was going to give to my nephews, but now I think I'll hang on to
them for cache items.  They are fun little items, would fit nicely in a
microcache.

I've seen a few references to the personalized cards here in this thread, so
I'll put in a plug for our website, www.GeoCacheCards.com where you can
order personalized (text and pictures) full color cards for leaving in
caches, or to stock in your own cache for visitors to take home with them as
a souvenir.

BTW, Caching had a little different "flavor" in California.  Not sure why...
I guess I'm just used to finding huge ammo cans in the desert with lots of
goodies in them, we weren't that fortunate this last round in Fresno and
Sacramento.  The caching population is HUGE there though.  2800 caches in a
100 mile radius in Sacramento!

- Farns
Mesa

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Stringham" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 6:52 AM
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Cache contents Rant

> I love the trading aspect of this game.
>
> I am really curious as to what others see as valid things to "trade" in a
> cache. While not all the things I put in a cache are really useful, at
> least they are not (in my humble opionion) pure junk.
>
> A marble in a micro,  for example is fine. I also like to see personalized
> cards. Dollar stores are my friend.
>
> My kids have taken to collecting some of the items found in caches (my
> oldest daughter has started a keychain collection - and has found some
> interesting ones!)  And, I try to make sure that I don't trade down. Some
> stuff is just cool (the navy lanyards from Team AZCOWilliams). I love
> these kind of trademark items. Or the Team sanddollar's token.  Other
> stuff is great too. I have taken some items from caches and turned them
> into travel bugs. I love it.
>
> But, I have seen some really junky stuff in some caches. What the heck are
> some people thinking when they put a used movie ticket or a used gift card
> in a cache?  Or broken parts of some old electronics?  This is what I have
> found in caches recently. I really don't get it. Do they really think that
> somebody will want a used movie ticket to some third rate movie from
> months ago? I have seen logs of others that say they have "cleaned out a
> cache" and replenished it, because the contents were so under par. I
> should have done this on these, but I was low on cache stuff. So, I ended
> up TN/LN/SL.
>
> Are others surprised by these kind of items as well? Should I have at
> least cleaned out the junk, so that the next person didn't have to?
>
> StringCachers
> Steven Stringham
>
>
>
> -----------------------------------------
> http://stringham-family.org/
> ____________________________________________________________
> Az-Geocaching mailing list [email-masked]
> To edit your setting, subscribe or unsubscribe visit:
> http://listserv.azgeocaching.com/mailman/listinfo/az-geocaching
>
> Arizona's Geocaching Resource
> http://www.azgeocaching.com
>