Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Cache Pirate on the loose: Here is how I will protect my caches

From: Ken Akerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 12:07:34 -0700 (PDT)

Do you lock you house or car?  Of course, not locking your house or car does not prevent a determined their from entering your house or car and stealing things inside it - one could easily break a window with a rock or pick a lock, for example - but it will discourage many theives. Also, if the Cache Pirate does become a Geocaching Member, then we could appeal to the adminstrators at Geocaching.com to revoke his membership. Ken Akerman

Marc <[email-masked]> wrote:Sounds like a good idea on the surface, but the reality is "who is the 
pirate?" Are they worth going after? I think we are all smart enough to 
"trap" them if this would be the case. Are they even worth going after? 
There has been much controversy over members only and don't think this 
should be the driving force to put all of them in there. If the pirate 
wants to continue to do this, I'm sure spending the $30.00 would not be 
an issue for them. Anyone who would want to do something like this would 
not stop for a mere $30.00.

These are just my thoughts. They do not reflect the thoughts of anyone else.

Tamo -

Ken Akerman wrote:

> To Arizona Geocachers,
>
> It's sad to see that there apparently is a cache pirate 
> on the loose. 
> I thought his entries were a joke, because he stated that he was at 
> two caches on Saturday that I visited in the morning (neither one was 
> plundered at that time), but when I checked the log for Pushing Tin 
> near Sky 
> Harbor International Airport, I read that Azcachmeister 
> had visited the 
> cache this morning and reported that it indeed had been plundered.
> 
> I am heading out to the Diamondbacks game in a short time, so on the 
> way there I will stop at a cache that I visit frequently, Have Bug, 
> Will Travel 
> . I 
> stopped there Saturday morning to get the only travel bug in it and I 
> moved the travel bug to another cache in Pinal County later that day. 
> Fortunately, if the pirate did clean out this cache, there were no 
> travel bugs in it.
> 
> In order to protect my traditional caches, I have made them all 
> Members Only. This is to protect my own caches from plundering, as it 
> appears the Cache Pirate is not a Geocaching.com Premium Member. I 
> recommend that all cachers make your caches Members Only (and become a 
> Premium Member if you are not a member) now to protect them from 
> plundering. (Virtual caches cannot be plundered, so those are open to 
> all).
> 
> Since there are some new cachers who perhaps aren't sure if they want 
> to pay the $30 annual fee to become a Premium Member, here is what I 
> will do for you. If you want to find one of my Members Only caches, 
> and you are not yet a Premium Member and have been an active geocacher 
> for less than three months with fewer than 50 cache findings, then you 
> could find one of my caches without becoming a Premium Member. To do 
> this, send me an e-mail explaining what cache you would like to find, 
> and I will respond with an e-mail listing the coordinates and a brief 
> description. You could find the cache and sign the logbook in the 
> cache, but you won't be able to log your finding on Geocaching.com 
> until you become a Premium Member.
> 
> This is available to new geocachers only (and obviously does not apply 
> to the Cache Pirate). I hope this new personal policy is agreeable to 
> all, and in my opinion will encourage Geocachers to become Premium 
> Members without restricting access to geocaching by newcomers.
> 
> Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)
> 
> 

____________________________________________________________
Az-Geocaching mailing list [email-masked]
To edit your setting, subscribe or unsubscribe visit:
http://listserv.azgeocaching.com/mailman/listinfo/az-geocaching

Arizona's Geocaching Resource
http://www.azgeocaching.com