Author: Tonio Kroger
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Geocaching and State Trust Land
It's hard to believe that the "Big Fuss" was nine years ago this month! If
anyone is interested in reading "Christine What's Her Face" (AKA Christina
Leonard)'s article, I've uploaded it
here<https://sites.google.com/site/ttbuena/home/2002-08-07_republic/2002-08-07ArizonaRepublic.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1>
..

I'd like to think that the reason we "haven't heard much from her lately" is
because a lot of geocachers (I won't name anyone because I don't want to
overlook anyone) spent a lot of time and effort in the years after that
article came out trying to help land managers in the state understand what
geocaching was and what geocaching wasn't.

I'd also like to think that one of the most positive outcomes of those
efforts was the event cache <http://coord.info/GCKDZG> held in 2004. In
spite of how the cache page reads, this wasn't designed to be as much a
cacher event as it was an opportunity for land managers in the state to meet
with the geocaching community and voice their concerns. To the best of my
recollection, the Arizona State Land Department (ASLD) did not attend the
event, but our view of it at the time was that ASLD didn't see caching as a
concern on State Trust Land as long as participants had their recreational
permits and respected areas that are archaeologically or environmentally
sensitive. I would hope that view continues to prevail within the ASLD
today.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Geocaching 7/01
creepinjeepers-at-cox.net|Geocaching-AZ/Sneak1.0 Allow|
<> wrote:

> **
> I remember when Christine "What's Her Face" from the Rep made a big fuss
> several years ago about us destroying invaluable historic artifacts--haven't
> heard much from her lately

Happy caching!

Judi and Steve
Team Tierra Buena
*Making geocaching needlessly difficult for ourselves since 2001!*